Thursday, August 27, 2015

not your average monday

I guess you could say our Monday was eventful.

To sum it up quickly, Monday featured an email from the Embassy regarding Clementine's case, a scheduled induction for Baby O, an update on Clementine's health, and good news about visas for adopted children in DRC, all within a number of hours.

My induction was scheduled for 7:30 am on Monday, and when I woke up around 5:45 I did what I always do: checked email. I saw something from the Embassy in DRC. The email's title: Case Cleared for an Interview. I quickly opened it and read enough to see that we had PASSED our I-604 investigation. (You might remember, our Child Finder missed his interview twice and made it to one a few weeks ago). The email stated a whole bunch of other info and details, but in all of my excitement--and the need to get ready for Baby O's arrival--I couldn't focus enough to read the whole thing. Seeing that email title was enough...enough to make me lose my breath for a second and almost gush into a round of tears right there. (You'll be happy to know I kept it together while praising the Lord for this gift over and over again.)

I did read enough of the email to see that we were given a date for Clementine's visa interview (within the next few weeks!). The only problem was that visa interviews were being scheduled and subsequently canceled due to the fact that DRC wasn't issuing passports to adopted children. (Another consequence of the Exit Letter Suspension.)

After that big victory for Clementine and for us, I got ready to leave for the hospital to be induced. Monday was my actual due date, and it was a SHOCK to all of us--my doctor included--that I made it full term, considering Brecken's 31-week arrival. We chose to induce Monday because, well, because we could.

At my last prenatal appointment my doctor asked about induction and then asked if I wanted an epidural. Yes. Yes, I did want an epidural. (I'm not necessarily a sissy, but my opinion is this: Why not?) In that case, she said, we should probably schedule an induction because after my water broke I would go FAST and might not have time for one to take affect. That pretty much made my decision for me, and I lived the last bit of pregnancy with bags fully packed and waiting in my car.

Long story short, labor was short and easy. For real. I'll be back one day soon to write about it, but from first drip of pitocin to first glimpse of Baby O it was probably less than four hours.

And then we met her: Oaklee Scout Lotz. She is a doll. (And drama-free so far, which is more than we can say about the entrances of our other three kids. Compared to Brody's crazy adoption, Brecken's early arrival and Clementine's STUCK status in DRC...Oaklee's entrance was EASY.)

Within an hour of Oaklee's arrival, I opened my phone to take pics and check email again (habit). I had an email from our agency: News about Clementine's health. The test results from the swollen throat I wrote about last week showed that Clementine has TB. As I read through the email, the nurses in our nice clean hospital room scrubbed Oaklee and checked her over as I struggled to hold myself together. Here we were with a perfectly healthy baby and excellent access to health care while our other daughter, just as loved, was faced with a serious health issue and no one to hold her through it and ensure she has every possible way of thriving through it.

This diagnosis blindsided us. We didn't see it coming, and we knew nothing about what she will be up against. With a few hours of research, we have found that it will require at least six months of treatment. The treatment will need to be diligent, consistent and precise or the TB will change to become more resistant to treatment and do more long-term damage. This is the scariest part for me, because we can't do a thing to ensure that her treatments are consistent and prioritized.

I'll be writing more about the TB later on, as well. It's a lot to process, especially with everything else we have going on.

Lastly, we got another email from the Embassy later Monday afternoon. This email stated that visa interviews would now continue in DRC without the need for passports for adopted children. This is huge, as it means that interviews won't be canceled when children don't present passports. For us, it means that Clementine's appointment should produce an actual visa a few short weeks after her interview, leaving us lacking only a passport and Exit Letter.

And that was our Monday...plenty of rejoicing, plenty of grieving, plenty of thinking, and plenty of hoping. Overall, plenty of things to pray about. Please pray and praise with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment